The Principles of Sustainable KM
So to summarize, the basic principles of sustainable KM are:
- Do not make KM extra work. Embed it in existing business processes.
- Avoid "Change Management". Let change will manage itself.
- Design for humans, not data.
- Pay attention to the people, not the policies.
- Eliminate the opposition.
The Approaches to Sustainable KM
Now that we have characterized some of the basic principles of sustainable KM, we can look at ways of achieving those goals. The following are four practical approaches to achieving sustainable KM. This is not an exhaustive list in any way, but is intended as a starting point. Each approach has its advantages and disadvantages, which I will go into when I describe each approach in detail.
The approaches to sustainable KM are:
- Embedded KM
- Design to Zero
- (Re)Use What Exists
- DYI KM
[Continued in Approaches to Sustainability: Embedded KM]